Thursday, July 28, 2011

Candied Carrots


Did you see the carrots on the plate of Bar-B-Que SpareRibs? Those are Candied Carrots and oh, are they good. This is the way my kids request carrots most often. When I made the tasty ribs of the last blog post, I made these carrots to go along with them. A perfect pairing. I always make more than we'll need for dinner because Sam will want carrots again tomorrow. It's his afternoon snack of choice. Funny kid!

Candied Carrots


1 2 pound package carrots
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

Peel and slice the carrots.
Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Add salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and boil gently for about 20 minutes or until carrots are very soft. Pour into a colander to drain.

In the same saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar until melted and bubbly.

Return carrots to saucepan and stir to coat with butter and sugar. Makes about 6 servings.


This recipe is in the Worldwide Ward Cookbook ~ Mom's Best Recipes book. It was submitted by my daughter, Lani. I love this because I did not know she intended to submit a recipe and she did not tell me she had done so. Isn't that fun? I love her so much and it tickles me that she loves these carrots enough to submit them for the cookbook. She also included this story...


"My mom, Deanna Buxton, (author of this book and actually many others), is definitely the most excellent lady. I like to call her Bob. You know when your nose is stuffed up, mom sounds like bob? That's where I got it. Bob always always always has something to make or someone to take care of or something to be fixed and always people to feed. Bob goes to extreme lengths to make sure my family is not hungry. This recipe has always been a gem to us. I don't know where she got it but oh, does it hit the spot. I remember when I got baptized, we came home to a most delightful feast for us beasts. But we could all smell something burnt. The carrots had not been taken off the burner so they... got crusty. We were all a little bummed. But Bob was the most sad of all. She was really looking forward to giving us those top notch carrots. Nevertheless, din din was abundant and satisfying. Everyone loves Bob, but especially me. I love you Bob!!!!!!"


Oooo isn't she cute?!


Lani lives in Logan, Utah and is currently attending Utah State University. I love you, Lani!

No comments:

Post a Comment

internet stats