Monday, January 2, 2012

Banana Salad

When I married my husband, David, I knew nothing about Banana Salad. But he loves it and his mother taught me to make it. It has become a favorite of mine as well. It goes with so many meals. It is sort of the stand by salad at our house. Everyone loves it. How many times I have thought, "Hey, Banana Salad would be great with this meal!" and then been disappointed because I didn't have a banana.

You might think it unusual, but it doesn't seem unusual to me at all. Well, not any more anyway. =)  Try it for dinner. My guess is it'll become a favorite at your house.

It is as simple to make as it is delicious.

Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
Tear some lettuce in bite sized pieces. Slice a banana.
Pour on the dressing, stir, and serve!
Banana Salad

6 C. torn Iceberg lettuce
2 bananas
2/3 C. salad dressing (Miracle Whip)
6 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/8 tsp. celery salt
salt
pepper
Place torn lettuce in a large bowl. Slice bananas and arrange over salad. In a small bowl, combine salad dressing, milk, vinegar, sugar, celery seed and celery salt. Whisk until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over salad and mix well. Serve immediately. 6 servings.

David says, "I don’t recall having a “favorite” meal growing up.  Just about everything my mother put on the table was delicious and I never had to worry that dinner might be something I was going to dread.  She made liver about once every 2-3 years, as if to give our tastebuds one more chance to overhaul their preferences.  Even on those rare occasions, thankfully she always served a full meal, and there were plenty of other flavors to drown out the pasty, nasty liver.  When I was a newlywed, I once asked my wife Deanna – the second dream cook of my life – if she would make a banana salad.  She had never heard of such a thing, and I directed her to my mother.  Such a simple but yummy side that complements just about any meal.  Deanna loved it immediately and serves it to our family quite often.  Every time I eat Banana Salad, I’m reminded of my mother’s tasty repertoire and her consistent diligence of putting a delicious, well-rounded meal on the table so we could enjoy dinner as a family every evening."
~David Buxton, Pleasant Grove, Utah

This recipe is found in the Worldwide Ward Mom's Best Recipes Cookbook.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

My father loves this around holidays. But i just use sugar milk and miracle whip.bananas and lettuce.yummy.

Unknown said...

Yummmmmm. My mom always made this but she somehow incorporated pineapple juice and some pineapples. Not a big fan of pineapples but I want to put just enough juice.

Unknown said...

My mom use to make this when I was younger just found the recipe on here to make it. But I used mayo instead of salad dressing and I didn't use celery either.

lkharmon said...

My mother used to make this years ago. I had forgotten all about it plus being a child, I never knew all the ingredients of her recipe. So glad to find this posted so I can enjoy it once again.

Unknown said...

My mom made the dressing with Miracle Whip, milk to slightly thin out the salad dressing, white sugar, white vinegar. Blend well until sugar is dissolved, pour over salad...enjoy

Anonymous said...

My mom made this, just thought of this memory and was curious if anyone knew of this amazing easy dish. Good memories thank you for sharing 😍☺️😊

Anonymous said...

My Mother made Lettuce Banana Mayo salad with Kraft Real Mayo, cream, a bit of sugar, mix well and add to lettuce and bananas. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

We grew up eating Banana salad my children and grandkids love it to. Finding a recipe on Pinterest suprise me. Reading comments made me smile.

Post a Comment

internet stats