Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes


Frost is coming and I still have some tomatoes in my garden that are green. I don't think they'll have time to ripen and this is just fine with me since I am going to pick them and make this marvelous recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes. This recipe is the real deal. It comes from Susan Casdorph from South Charleston, West Virginia. 


Fried Green Tomatoes
 
2 or 3 large green tomatoes
3/4 C. cornmeal
1/4 C. flour
dash of salt
dash of pepper
1 tsp. sugar or equivalent sugar substitute
2 Tbsp. (approximate) canola oil


Mix cornmeal, flour (or boxed cornbread mix in place of the cornmeal and flour), sugar, salt and pepper in a flat-bottomed dish.


Slice tomatoes in 1/4-inch slices.


Dip both sides of tomato slices into the cornmeal mix to cover (as well as you can).



Pour oil into cast iron skillet (if you have one, if not, any skillet will do) set at medium heat. When oil is hot enough (almost smoking). Then carefully place into hot oil. Cook on both sides until brown (approximately 1 to 2 minutes on each side).



Drain on paper towel. Serve with Ranch dressing. Delicious. 4 to 6 servings.


Susan says, "My mother-in-law, Doris Casdorph, made these for me when I was dating my husband (we've been married now for almost three years) and I absolutely adore them. I could eat my weight in fried green tomatoes if my stomach could hold 'em! Doesn't matter how many you make, it is never enough!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

internet stats